Steve Messner has over 30 years of experience in finance, general management, operations, and strategy. He works with the top management of small and medium-sized companies to help them define their goals; develop and implement plans to achieve them; and improve profitability and cash flow, typically as a part-time CFO.
His current work includes serving as the:
- Part-time CFO of a $15m professional services firm whose bank brought him in after the company ran into severe financial problems.
- Part-time CFO of a $3m testing lab.
- Part-time CFO of a $2m SaaS vendor.
- Outsourced strategic planning department of an $80m security company and as a member of its board of directors.
Other recent representative engagements include:
- Serving as the part-time CFO of a $5m telemarketing company facing severe financial challenges. The firm was sold for 75% of revenue in June 2022 and is continuing to operate under the new ownership.
- Serving as the turnaround CFO of a $20m professional services firm that was on the verge of bankruptcy when he started with it.
Earlier, he was COO of the Ambit Group, a $5m government contractor growing at 100% per year. At Ambit, he managed cash flow in a cash-constrained situation; selected and managed the firm’s outsourced IT and HR/benefits/payroll vendors; handled all contract and legal matters; and obtained a GSA IT Schedule 70.
Before that, he was CFO of the Touchstone Consulting Group, a $24m government contractor. While there, he obtained the funding to support its 100% annual growth; redesigned the billing and collections process to cut days sales outstanding 32%; and established a blanket purchase agreement through which it ran over 50% of its business.
Earlier, he was an SVP of Aquilent, a $20m government IT systems development firm, where he led its biggest project, growing revenues 20% and motivating a demoralized team. He also served as a financial advisor to management during its buyout of the company and created the firm’s incentive compensation and stock option plans.
Before that, he co-founded two management consulting firms and worked for Mercer Management Consulting, IDC, Lehman Brothers, and Bain & Company.
Steve received a BA and an MS in Applied Mathematics from Harvard University, an MS in Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and an MBA from the Harvard Business School.