Most leaders find it difficult to adequately prepare— assuming they even know how — to facilitate a high-powered, executive offsite. The truth is that it is nearly impossible for a leader to facilitate and participate in, let alone also lead, their own offsite. A better strategy is to hire experts who use proven approaches, tools, and methods to prepare and facilitate a great annual leadership team offsite meeting.
The ten tips and resource links below will help the thoughtful leader to get out in-front of the planning process and make clear to the board, top team, and employees that the organization is in good hands and well-led.
- Inform the board and the management team that it is time to work on plans for the coming year.
- The management team can be as small as three to five members or as many as 15 to 20.
- If there are more than seven, pick three to five to serve as an executive committee.
- Prepare a time-line of steps, outputs, and review points.
- Assign a process leader who will manage planning as a project.
- Schedule offsite session and line up facilities and facilitation support.