Most leaders find it difficult to adequately prepare— assuming they even know how — to facilitate a high-powered, executive offsite. The truth is that it is nearly impossible for a leader to facilitate and participate in, let alone also lead, their own offsite. A better strategy is to hire experts who use proven approaches, tools, and methods to prepare and facilitate a great annual leadership team offsite meeting.
The ten tips and resource links below will help the thoughtful leader to get out in-front of the planning process and make clear to the board, top team, and employees that the organization is in good hands and well-led.
Plan the Plan
- Inform the board and the management team that it is time to work on plans for the coming year.
- The management team can be as small as three to five members or as many as 15 to 20.
- If there are more than seven, pick three to five to serve as an executive committee.
- Prepare a time-line of steps, outputs, and review points.
- Assign a process leader who will manage planning as a project.
- Schedule offsite session and line up facilities and facilitation support.
See details on leadership team strategy and planning sessions.
Continue reading How to Run a Great Annual Leadership Team Offsite Meeting.
The following are definitions of phrases that use the word strategy. They provide a useful way to think about the term and matters directly related to it:
- Strategy is what people in an organization plan to do in order to “win” whatever game they are playing.
- Strategic thinking is how decisions and actions are made in the immediate-term in a manner that is mindful of long-term implications and consistent with a strategy.
- Strategic planning is the structured process that management uses to periodically engage leaders in advancing their strategy.
- Strategic plan is a description of an organization as it presently exists and where it is to be in the future along with how it will go from where it is today to where it will be next on the way to achieve a long-term vision.
- Strategic initiatives are projects identified as part of strategic planning and documented in the strategic plan that are to address what is most important to change next in order to increase the odds of winning.
- Strategic management is what is done to deliberately operate and develop the organization in a manner that is entirely consistent with its strategy.